- Sweep the walk/stoop/porch. The path front door can become littered with leaves, acorns, and dirt without notice. So check out the front entryway and give it a quick sweep in advance of the big night!
- Fine tune the lighting. Replace any bulbs that might be burnt out at the front door, porch, or paths leading to your house. Clean lighting of the bugs and cobwebs that always seem to accumulate in outdoor fixtures. Otherwise, your home might look like a real-life haunted house and scare trick-or-treaters away!
- Decorate A jack-o-lantern or collection of pumpkins and squash is enough to say that you’ve got spirit. Go seasonal instead of “Halloween-y” if you want that decor to last through until after Thanksgiving!
- Have a presence. Simply giving the impression that the front of your home or apartment is used and enjoyed makes it more welcoming. Have seating out front, maybe a small table decorated for the season. This street presence can be established from indoors, too, with a chair pulled up and a reading lamp turned on inside a front window.
- Ready the door itself. Is the front door clean? Give it a good scrubbing and wash the glass on the storm door if needed.
- Leave the lights on. If kids see your lights are off, they will think you’re out of candy or you’re not passing any out. If you want to keep your house dark to make it seem spooky, that’s okay, but make sure to have some form of light, whether it’s a string of pumpkin lights, a porch light, a light on inside the house, or simply a Jack O’ Lantern.
- Have good candy. We all want kids to be healthy, but on Halloween, please refrain from giving out apples or dried fruit. If you give out dried fruit, kids won’t come to your house. Chocolate, candy, and chips are good options to choose from when buying Halloween candy.
Creekbend Property Management is located in Charleston, SC specializing in rental properties in Charleston, James Island, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; giving our property investors peace of mind!