Having a four legged friend is a wonderful thing, but the destruction they may cause is not so great, especially if you are a renter. Creekbend Property Management wants to help. We pride ourselves in the wonderful rental properties we have and the condition in which they are kept. Many of our tenants are dog or cat owners and do a wonderful job of keeping their home looking great! We have a few ideas to keep your dog or cat from causing mass destruction in your home.
- Get a large area rug for the major rooms in your house or apartment. Although this may sound like a home decorating tip, area rugs are great for protecting whatever floor is underneath it. The rug serves many purposes: sprucing up your room and saving your floors. The rug is a barrier between pet’s puddle and the carpet or hardwood. If your pet has an accident, it is better it happens on your rug rather than your floors.
- If your home has wooden doors, consider covering them with anything like a blanket or a sheet. Although this may seem strange, there is a reason behind it. If your dog wants to scratch or chew something, as most dogs do, a wooden door looks like a great chew toy to them. Dogs can chew off the bottom corners of the doors! By covering the door, the dog would scratch a $5 sheet rather than a $1000 plus door. In your rented home, it is always better to be safe rather than sorry. Provide a substitution with a thick tree branch that will satisfy your pooches’ chewing urge.
- Put a durable, washable throw blanket over couch. If your furry friend likes to hang out on the couch and cuddle but sheds like crazy, put a durable, washable throw blanket on top of the cushions. The blanket protects your furniture from dog or cat hair, but allows your pet to still hang out with you on the couch. When choosing a throw, consider a durable fabric like wool. When the blanket is covered with dog hair, just throw it in the washer.
- Buy heavy duty trashcans with a pedal opener. Trashcans probably seem like a magical land of food for your dog so it is best to make sure they cannot get into the trashcan like they so desperately want to. You do not want your pet eating trash while throwing it around your home. Your best bet is going to be a very heavy, sturdy trashcan. Many of these heavy duty trashcans have a pedal feature which is perfect so your dog can’t just nudge the top open. Install child proof locks on cabinet doors if that’s where you store trash containers.
- Find someone you trust to check on your pet while you’re away for more than a couple of hours. If you’re gone for long periods of time and get home late; remember that pets get bored and will lash out by destroying your things and home. Consider hiring a dog walker to take your pet out while you’re at work. Or ask a neighbor or friend to check on your pet during the day.
- Provide a chew toy that can be stuffed with treats. Dogs will go to work on a toy stuffed with treats! Bonus; after stuffing toy with treats pour water over treats and put in freezer for the night, your dog will be busy for a couple of hours the next day working on that toy!
We want your pet to be happy without destroying your home. Your home should be a place of fun and relaxation instead of constantly worrying about whether or not your pet has harmed furniture, walls, doors, etc. Our property management services aim to help keep an investment property looking great while creating a home. Creekbend Property Management cares about each and every tenant and property investor. We want your rented home to be cozy and functional. We, as a property management company, also want the investment property to be well taken care of. We pride ourselves on the excellence of our properties and the relationships we have with our property investors and our tenants.
Creekbend Property Management is located in Charleston, SC specializing in rental properties in downtown Charleston, James Island, Isle of Palm, Johns Island, Kiawah, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; giving our property investors peace of mind!