For many of us summer means relaxing and grilling in the backyard full of family and friends. However, every year an average of 7,000 Americans are injured while using backyard grills. Before you start the festivities, avoid making common mistakes when grilling which could potentially cause injuries, fires and property damage. 

Creekbend Property Management highlights the most common mistakes and key safety tips:

 

 

General Safety Tips for Grills

  • Keep your grill on a level surface. Choose a safe location for your grill at least ten feet away from the house, or garage or overhanging branches. Grills should NEVER be used on a balcony or under any overhanging structure.
  • Don’t step away from a grill. Never leave an unattended grill while in use. Plan ahead on your food prep so you can focus on grilling. Keep children and pets at a safe distance from the flames.
  • Think safety while cooking. Use utensils with long handles, wear an apron and protect your hands with long-armed oven mitts.
  • Clean your grill regularly. Grease is a major source of flare ups. Don’t allow grease and fat to build up on your grill.
  • Keep a spray bottle of water handy. In the event of a minor flare-up you can spray it with the water to instantly calm it.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher nearby. Make sure you know how to operate it BEFORE grilling. If you don’t know how when the flames are out of control, call the fire department!
  • Never grill inside an enclosed space. Grilling in a garage, vehicle, tent, etc…, even if ventilated can have harmful carbon monoxide buildup.

 Gas Grill Safety

  • Check for gas leaks. Make a solution of half liquid soap and half water and rub it on the hoses and connections. 2. Turn the gas on with the grill lid open. If the soap forms large bubbles, it’s a sign that the hoses have holes or that the connections are not tight enough.
  • If you smell gas while cooking, get away from the grill! Never attempt to move the grill
  • Don’t turn on the gas while your grill lid is closed. NEVER do this! It causes gas to build up inside the grill, and when you do light it and open it, a fireball can explode in your face.
  • Turn off your grill. After cooking completely close the valve on your gas grill
  • Safely store away grill. Store grill and propane tanks outside and away from your home.

Charcoal Grill Safety

  • Do not add charcoal starter fluid to hot coals. Once charcoal or kindling have been ignited, never use any other flammable or combustible liquid to get the fire started to avoid flash fires.
  • Avoid moving the grill while coals are hot. Charcoal grills can continue to remain hot for many hours after the flames extinguish. Avoid placing any burnable objects near the grill and keep combustible items that may be blown by the wind away from the grill.
  • Check for rust damage in metal grills. Charcoal can fall through rusted out grill bottoms onto surfaces below and cause a fire.
  • Dispose of charcoal properly. Break up the embers with a long grilling tool then close grill cover to cut off the oxygen. Or, slowly sprinkle the coals with water. Once the coals are cooled completely, dispose of them in a metal container.

Creekbend Property Management knows that these simple, yet vital tips will help keep you and your family safe this summer. We, as a property management company, also want the investment property to be well taken care of. We pride ourselves on the excellence of our properties and the relationships we have with our property investors and our tenants. 

Creekbend Property Management is located in Charleston, SC specializing in rental properties in downtown Charleston, James Island, Isle of Palm, Johns Island, Kiawah, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; giving our property investors peace of mind!

Posted by: creekbendblog on June 29, 2017
Posted in: Uncategorized