Holiday safety should be the issue that burns brightest from late November to mid-January, when families gather, parties are scheduled and travel spikes. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission approximately 1,300 people are treated each year in emergency departments for injuries related to holiday lights, 6,200 are treated for injuries related to holiday decorations and Christmas trees, and holiday lights cause about 510 fires each year.
Creekbend Property Management has provided some basic holiday safety precautions so your family and guests remain safe and injury-free throughout the season!
- Never use lighted candles near trees or garland, instead opt for flameless candles.
- Keep poisonous plants (poinsettias) out of reach of children and pets.
- Keep trees away from fireplaces, radiators and other heat sources.
- Make sure your tree has a stable platform to prevent toppling over.
- Choose an artificial tree that is labeled fire resistant.
- If using a natural tree, make sure it is well watered and not dry to avoid a fire hazard.
- Check holiday lights for fraying, bare spots, gaps in the insulation or excessive kinking in the wire.
- Turn off tree lights and decorations when not in use.
- When putting up decorations use a step stool or ladder to reach high places.
- Be mindful of sharp or broken ornaments when unpacking; lacerations are one of the top-reported decorating-related injury!
- Ensure guests make it home safely after holiday get-togethers by designating a sober driver.
- Don’t give the gift of food poisoning! When preparing a meal, wash hands, utensils, sink and anything else that touches raw meat. Always reheat leftovers to at least 165*F
Creekbend Property Management wishes you and your loved ones a happy, peaceful, and safe holiday!
Creekbend Property Management is located in Charleston, SC specializing in rental properties in downtown Charleston, James Island, Isle of Palms, Johns Island, Kiawah, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; giving our property investors peace of mind!