Yes, it is that time of the year again for emergency planning and preparation! The threat of hurricanes loom ahead along the coastlines for the next couple of months. Are you ready?
Creekbend Property Management has provided an emergency planning and preparation list in the event you need to evacuate or lose power due to storms. Planning is easy, if you think about it before there is an emergency!
Buy a storage tub and fill it with the following items:
- Extra batteries
- Battery-powered radio
- First-aid kit
- Tools; hammer, pliers and wrench
- Can opener
- Non-perishable food (at least a three day supply) Don’t forget your pets!
- Matches or lighters
- Garbage bags
- Water jugs (enough for each person to drink one gallon every day for at least three days
- Solar charger for cell phones
- Moist towelettes/wipes
- Local maps (in case your GPS fails you)
- Paper towels, plates, plastic cutlery and cups (in case of evacuation)
Batten Down the Hatches!
- Bring in all lawn furniture, rugs, mats, lawn ornaments or tie down to prevent any projectile objects.
- Check if any tree branches need to be trimmed or cut back.
- Reinforce doors, especially double doors.
- Secure windows, close blinds and shutters.
- Turn off utilities if instructed to do so, otherwise, turn refrigerator thermostat to the coldest setting, keep the doors closed. If you are evacuating take out the foods that could potentially spoil if power goes out.
- If evacuating fill bathtub with water. After Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, many people could not access water in their homes for basic everyday hygiene and flushing toilets. Make sure tub has been scrubbed clean and rinsed well before filling.
In The Event of An Evacuation:
- Ask an out-of-area friend or relative to be someone that household members can call during an emergency. Be sure every member of your family has the phone number of the emergency contact person. It’s also a good idea to keep a prepaid phone card on hand in case you are unable to use your own phone.
- Create backup files of your records in digital form so you can access them from anywhere.
- Have at least an half a tank of gas in your car at all times
- Have enough prescription meds for you and your pets to last at the least 10 days
- If your pets do not travel well, talk to your vet about giving your pet a sedative, and if you have more than one cat, have a pet carrier handy for each animal. Don’t forget the leash and bowls!
- Have emergency cash on hand, ATM’s may not work if there is a power outage
- Have a cooler handy ready to fill with ice (keep a bag of ice in freezer at all times if you have the space)
- Blanket for each person or sleeping bag (a tent if you have one)
Creekbend Property Management wants you to be ready for any emergency, by planning for now, not in the middle of one!
Creekbend Property Management is located in Charleston, SC specializing in rental properties in downtown Charleston, James Island, Isle of Palms, Johns Island, Kiawah, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; peace of mind!