This is the time of year when HVAC systems are running 24/7 along with repair technicians! Creekbend Property Management has some simple tips to help you to troubleshoot common HVAC problems, save energy and staying cool this summer!
- Make sure your air filters are replaced EVERY month. Many furnace manufacturers recommend that you use a low-cost fiberglass filter because high-efficiency filters may actually slow airflow reducing the unit’s efficiency, raising your energy bills, and causing damage due to over working the system. If you have pets that shed you may need to change filters every TWO weeks!
- Make sure air flow from vents or registers are not blocked by any objects
HVAC DIY Troubleshooting Before Calling a Service Technician:
- If the A/C isn’t working to full capacity check the following: the pan under the air handler may need to be emptied causing the float switch to turn off. If the unit doesn’t have a pan, check to see if there is ice on the outside condenser or on the air handler. If there is ice, shut off A/C and keep fan running to defrost ice build-up, this may take several hours. Make sure water is pouring from the drain while the outside unit condenser is running, that means it’s working properly.
- Keeping Cool and Saving Energy & Money
- Close your blinds during the day while the sun is shining bright. Closing the blinds with help keep the sunlight out and your home shaded and cooler. Use venetian blinds to help reflect the light out or white backed curtains.
- If you have ceiling fans, use them! Keep stagnant air moving, it feels cooler and increases the level of comfort for occupants. Fans use much less electricity than air conditioning units.
- Turn off electronics! Computers, TVs, etc… generate quite a bit of heat when sitting idle or even when turned off. Plug electronics in to a surge protector to switch on and off.
- Avoid using the oven! Try using the microwave or an outside grill. If you need to use the oven, it may be better to do it the early morning or later at night when it’s cooler.
- Replace all incandescent light bulbs and halogen bulbs because they emit a lot of heat when in use. Replace standard bulbs with high-efficiency, low-heat CFL’s or LED’s, which use a quarter of the energy and last a lot longer!
- Take short, cool showers, which are refreshing in the hot summer. Run the bathroom exhaust fan when showering or bathing, and keep running 20 minutes afterward, to remove excess heat and humidity.
By following these tips provided by Creekbend Property Management you can enjoy the summer season and avoid costly HVAC repairs Please remember to keep hydrated!
Creekbend Property Management, Charleston Rental Property Management company is located in Charleston, SC specializing in rental properties in downtown Charleston, James Island, Isle of Palm, Johns Island, Kiawah, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; giving our property investors peace of mind!