Clothes dryers may not look dangerous but according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, there are an estimated annual 15,500 fires, 10 deaths and 10 injuries due to clothes dryer fires. Unsurprisingly, the leading cause of these fires is the failure to clean dryer vents.
Maintain clothes dryer safety to avoid fire hazard with the following information provided by Creekbend Property Management:
- ALWAYS clean out the lint screen before using the dryer! Collected dust and lint become a fire hazard if allowed to remain inside vents and hoses.
- ALWAYS keep chemicals, rags, loose papers, and other flammable items away from both gas and electric dryers.
- Regularly inspect your dryer vents and lint filters from buildup. Examine the ductwork and exhaust hoses attached to the dryer to identify lint that has bypassed the screen.
- Loose hoses, seals and connections can lead to gas and carbon monoxide leaks. If your dryer uses gas, pay attention for gas smells when you open the door or when the dryer is running.
- Avoid running dryers while sleeping or when no one is home.
Look out for the following signs of a clogged dryer vent:
- A musty odor is noticeable in the clothing after the drying cycle
- Clothes seem unusually hot to the touch
- Excessive heat is noticed in the room in which the washer and dryer are operated
- The dryer vent hood flap does not open property when you use the dryer (this is the slotted vent opening to the exterior of your home)
- Debris is noticed within the outside dryer vent opening
- Large amounts of lint build-up in the lint trap during each cycle
- Odor noticed from dryer sheets used during the drying cycle
Keeping your clothes dryer from being a fire hazard with regular cleaning and simple maintenance can protect your family and home!
Creekbend Property Management, a rental property management company, located in Charleston, SC specializing in downtown Charleston, James Island, Isle of Palm, Johns Island, Kiawah, Mt. Pleasant, Summerville, Goose Creek, Moncks Corner, North Charleston, and West Ashley. We are licensed and insured, providing leasing services, management services, maintenance, and most importantly; giving our property investors peace of mind!